Loving living with a host family

1:53 PM

As my study abroad experience comes to a close, I can definitely say that one of the best parts of it has been living with a host family. There is something so special about a family who wants to share their home and way of life with students from around the world. No matter what your host family is like, a bond is formed when you live with some one for a semester.

I was extremely lucky with the family I was assigned to, as were many of my friends studying here. I love to hear them talk about little things they do with their families or reasons why they love them so much. The dynamic of each family is different, but all are so happy with their families.

Some of my friends are staying in apartments, and they love it! They're independent people, and it works for them. If you're an absolutely independent person, this is probably a better option. It is a bit of an adjustment going from the complete freedom of apartment or dorm life to following a family's schedule, but if you can sacrifice a bit of freedom to have the courtesy to tell your family where you're going and to come home for their meal times, living with a host family is an amazing experience.

Here are just a few of the reasons why I love living with a host family:

  • Complete cultural immersion. For me, this is the best perk of them all. Living with a family, I've seen firsthand how a normal family lives day to day. How they interact, how the daily schedule works, when and what they eat, how they decorate their home, and so many more little things that I never even thought about before I realized they were different, like how they answer the phone. But the best of them all is the language. Being completely surrounded by it at school and in the house has made me improve so quickly! Except for one of my sisters who is learning English, none of my family really speaks English… I love this! When I wouldn't understand a word, they'd explain it to me in Spanish to teach me rather than just giving me the English translation - a practice that helps so much more! After my experience, I totally believe that if you're going to a country to learn the language, staying with a family is the way to go.
  • FOOD. We're talkin' homemade empanadas, Spanish tortillas, croquetas, arroz con leche, tomato creations galore, and the best soups you will ever have. I've learned so much about the Spanish diet living with a family, eaten healthier than I would have living in an apartment, and even gotten some great recipes to bring home for the future hubs!
  • A guide. What better way to learn about a new place than with people who have been living there forever? Having two host sisters has been awesome for this. Not only is it good getting to talk in Spanish with someone so easy to relate to, but it's wonderful having someone who is always more than happy to tell me the best places to go (ones that Spaniards go to!), to show me around the city, and occasionally to tapear and fiesta with :) 
My first time exploring with one of my host sisters.
El Palacio de Carlos V in the Alhambra
  • There's always someone there for you. Just like your parents, your family will want you to be comfortable and to succeed. When I first arrived in Granada, it was after my rough couple days in Madrid, I was experiencing culture shock, I was home sick (and literally sick), I hadn't met any one yet - I was just miserable. After a few days my poor host mom noticed this. I'll never forget when she came into my room to ask me how I was doing and just let me cry with her. She understood completely and told me she wanted to do anything to make me happy, and to always tell her when I needed something because she was my mom in Spain. It still makes me tear up when I think about it. These are the kinds of special things that come with living with a family.

While these are all amazing things, there are some things specific to each family that you can't really put into words that make the experience even more amazing. Like introducing my host mom to Modern Family and watching her crack up at Sofia Vergara, how happy she gets when I give her a big hug after I've been gone on a weekend trip, coming home each day and seeing how she's progressed on her paintings, or spending forever looking at wedding planning things with my host sister.

Looking back, I'm sure I could have had a great time living in a residencia or apartment with other students, but I am so happy I chose to live with a host family, and so thankful for the family I was blessed to live with and become apart of.

-Breezy

You Might Also Like

0 comments