DIY Wine Cork Wreath

1:40 PM



Hello again! About time, right? After an absolutely crazy and fun spring semester filled with studying, training for dance team nationals, getting a new job, getting engaged and beginning wedding planning, I finally have my next tutorial for you all! Now that summer's rolled around, let's hope that they're not spread apart by six months… whoops!

This project, a DIY wine cork wreath is very simple, but also time consuming. So if you have some patience and a love for wine, this is the project for you!


Here's what you'll need:

  • Straw wreath (any size)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Faux grapes, berries, whatever extras you desire
  • Wine corks of course, and loads of 'em!
  • Twine (if not using a wreath hanger)
  • Wire cutters
     


And away we go!


Before you start gluing anything, I would advise unwrapping your wreath outside. Quite a bit of loose straw falls out once you unwrap the wreath, so unwrapping it outside and giving it a good couple shakes get a lot of the loose straw outside instead of in your house. 

First, if you're not using a wreath hanger or don't have a long enough nail to hang the wreath on, you need to create your own wreath hanger with the twine. I used a brown, strawy twine to complement the corks. Loop it around the wreath, snip it at the desired length with the wire cutters, and twist up the ends to where they'll hold the wreath. I would test your wreath on the wall to make sure your nail will hold the full weight of the wreath with the twine, and to check and see if you need to adjust your loop. 




Next it's time to create the cork base. This takes while, and isn't exactly the most fun thing in the world, but once you get in the groove, it goes by faster. I take the time to do the base because I think the wreaths look so much nicer with a base of cork, instead of straw, peeking out under the randomly placed corks. To begin, start your first row of corks as far in towards the middle as you desire. I would also hang your wreath up on the wall here to see how far you want your first row to be in, since it will be hanging up, after all :) As you apply each cork,  press firmly on it for a a few seconds to make sure it sticks to wreath. Doing each individual cork takes more time, but makes for a longer lasting wreath.

*Tip: This base layer is where you want to use your repeat corks. I get a lot of my corks from wineries, which is great because they give me tons of them, but not so great because they're all the same. This is where you want to use the winery corks! Save the unique ones for the top to show them off!





If your rows aren't exactly lining up, don't fret! Just do what you need to in order to cover the straw. With the random corks on the top, you won't even be able to tell that the base isn't perfect.






If you're a super detailed person, for my 16 inch wreath I had 7 rows and used 176 corks. I went farther on the outside, because I knew that once my wreath was up on the wall, people in the room next to the kitchen would be able to see straw on the sides if I didn't… yuck! Once you have the base completed, it goes faster and gets more fun! This is the time for you to pick your coolest corks to show off to the world! For the top, just take each cork and glue it on in a random pattern. I pay close attention to make sure the pretty part of the cork is showing :)



If you like the look of the plain corks like this, you're done! But if you want to add a little oomph to the wreath, you're one step away! I've found that hot glue has worked well for most of the decor on my wreaths, but for some I've had to wrap fishing line around a couple corks and the decor to hold it on. For this wreath, I chose some faux grapes and vine leaves to go in my parents' wine themed kitchen.

  

Here's a Christmas one I've done a few times before



And there you have it! A wreath you can make for all occasions :) Please leave any questions or feedback you have, or even share what kind of wine cork wreath you made! Happy Crafting!

-Breezy

You Might Also Like

0 comments