GRANADA UPDATE

6:08 PM


If you're looking for good time by the light of the Alhambra, look no further. Granada's hottest club is El Camborio. Opened by Moorish kings as a spot to show their Alhambra guests a good time, this place has everything: Ariana Grande's "Problem" playing every other hour while white girls do the hair flip and pouty face, an almost middle aged man who looks like a Spanish Christopher Walken trying to pick up "guiris," and even tinted gringas… you know, it's that thing when an American girl is dancing while she's on her fifth tinto de verano of the night and then spills it all over her white crop top.

But seriously… I love putting on some lipstick and dancing the night away at Camborio and the other discos as much as the next gringa, and I do have to admit to occasionally being part of the tinted gringa demographic. But, contrary to popular belief,  that's not all there is to do here!

Here are some of my favorite things about life in Granada so far:
  • The Albaicín. This is hands down my favorite place in Granada. This little neighborhood situated on a giant incline is right by the Alhambra. It's filled with charming white houses, markets with Arab influenced goods, taparías and teterías galore, and the best bakery in Granada (see my first Granada post). It's my favorite place to take a walk, because the tiny winding roads make it so hard to know exactly where you are. My host sister tells me the best directions are, "If you want to go into the Albaicín, go uphill, and if you want to go back to the city center, go downhill." It's the perfect place to get lost in, because you never know what you'll stumble upon, and the views of the city, the mountains, and the Alhambra never get old. You might even catch a street flamenco show!
The kind of view you just stumble upon in the Albaicín. The mountains, the Alhambra, 
and the city all in one place… it doesn't get any better!
  • Tapas. This one is a given for almost every Spanish city you go to, but tapas in Granada are special because they're free when you order a drink! Whether it's a glass of wine or a pitcher of sangria, you get a small plate of Spanish deliciousness included! You can get anything from chicken curry to a tostada with jamón serrano to sushi to paella - the possibilities are endless and all delicious! Some places even let you choose which tapas you get, while others simply bring you what they have prepared. After traveling throughout Spain and going to Paris, I've realized that I am definitely spoiled here with the free tapas.
  • Walking. Not only is Granada cheaper than other Spanish cities, but it's also very walkable. It's small enough that you can walk basically everywhere you need to go and almost always see a familiar face or two on the streets, but big enough that you're always finding new parts of the city to explore and new places to try. This is awesome because you're not constantly spending money on buses or cabs, making living here even cheaper. Living here has definitely changed my concept of a "long walk." After my daily 25 minute walk to school and those late night 40 minute walks home from Camborio, I rest assured that I will be much more willing to walk places at home. 
Parque Federico Garcia Lorca - one of my 
favorite places to walk through
  • The cafés. As a huge coffee drinker and a barista, I like to think that I know good coffee, and Spain's got it! When you think of Spain, you don't normally think of good coffee, but cafe con leche has become my favorite coffee drink! It's basically the Spanish version of a latte, but often times stronger. Normally in a latte, you throw a shot of espresso in with the steamed milk, but with cafe con leche, it's more of a half and half mix. Have it with a tostada with olive oil and tomatoes, some friends, and your travel journals, and you've got a perfect afternoon in Granada. 

    Cafe con leche and a Pionono - 
    the perfect snack
  • Living with a host family. I could go on and on about how great I think living with a host family while studying abroad is (which I probably will in a later post), but seriously. I firmly believe that if you want to be truly immersed in a culture, staying with a host family is the way to go! Each family is different, but most likely you're going to get a family who truly wants you there with them and who offers support like true family does. Whether I'm watching The Property Brothers (dubbed in Spanish, of course) with my host mom or talking to my host sister and her boyfriend about the best places to for tapas in the city, I always love coming home to my family here.

There you have it: my favorite things to do with the beautiful people I've met here and come to love so much. It's so hard to believe that it's already November - time flies by in this city! The first month and a half has already been so wonderful, I'm so thankful for this experience and loving every minute of it! Check back later for updates on my recent travels to Sevilla and Barcelona and maybe even a second Granada Update… Chow!


-Breezy

You Might Also Like

0 comments